Tuesday, April 10, 2012

We Made It!!!!


We made it!!! I say that with exclamation points (!!!) because there was doubt that we would survive the flight. Okay....there was really no doubt....except in my mind.

Our flight was delayed a good hour or so yesterday due to the fact that Wichita was covered in heavy fog. I wondered in the morning as I was running my last minute errands and the visibility was zero..... if flying was even going to be possible. To be honest I had really thought very little about the flight up until yesterday morning. I of course intellectually knew that we would be flying a smaller plane....I just had no idea I would be flying in a tin bucket with wings and a motor. Worry and fear of the flight did not even enter my mind until I was talking to my mother in law as I was running my errands and she said "I hope you packed a parachute!" My body froze at those words. I knew she was kidding (sort of) but that was when the realization hit me that the flight might be as scary as the impending surgery. My stomach dropped. I tried to focus my mind elsewhere.

When we arrived at the small plane airport, David was enthralled. He loved looking out the big windows at the smaller planes being worked on and fueled. The "oooooo's" and "ahhhhhs" that he kept murmuring told of his wonder at such sights. I had loaded him down with Dramamine in the car so about 20 minutes into our airport wait......he was out snoring for all to hear. As our wait dragged on.....I was afraid that the meds would wear off before we even boarded the plane (and actually they did!)

Thiry (who took us to the airport) and I caught up on life as we waited for our plane. Eventually the fog turned into cloudy gray sky's. Suddenly a plane about the size of a flying tricycle landed and came rolling up to the door. I went into total panic as I saw the size. My bag would not even fit in that let alone people. Luckily a young man came bouncing off with a single bag. He was obviously pilot and passenger all in one. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that was not our plane. We waited a few minutes more and then down the run way came our Wings of Hope plane. It was only slightly bigger than the one man tricycle...but some how the red cross on it invoked a little comfort. Off the plane and in the building came three gentlemen. One introduced himself as a doctor. As the plane refueled they talked amongst themselves and asked information on Yingling Airport where we were at. Apparently they usually fly into Jabara.

Once fueled we waked to the plane and inwardly I panicked. There were five small seats and a space about the size of a small hatch in a tiny compact car. We were suppose to fit all of us, a wheelchair, walker and bag in that tiny space. I just didn't see it happening. Somehow though we managed it all and soon we were all crowded into the plane with knees by our ears and ready to take off. They gave David and I headphones to block out the engine noise. David was not too excited to wear his but after taking them off he realized he didn't like the sound of the engine and put them right back on. At this point the Dramamine was but a memory to his system and he was fully awake as we took off down the run way. His eyes got big as we took to the sky and my  stomach did a 360 and then dropped. Once we hit our correct altitude the flight was fairly smooth although for the nervous plane traveler...I don't suggest flying in a plan where you can actually see the pilot and cockpit. I found myself watching carefully for gauges to start spinning out of control and nervous facial expressions from the pilots. Luckily neither ever happened.

The flight was about two and a half hours and David switched between dozing and looking out the window. All fear that the flight would mess with his shunt or his equilibrium was gone. He was loving every second of it. I tried to drift off but my head was practically on my knee and there was no comfortable spot so I just looked out the window. I thought of the Jason Aldeen song "Flyover States" and understood just how beautiful Kansas and Missouri were from the air. It was a patchwork of greens and browns dotted by cities and farms. I really loved it. Then we started flying over the Missouri River. It was amazing to see all the twists and turns as this massive body of water spread out in every direction. Occasionally you could see the white tail of a boat speeding through the water. It was fascinating and it also told me that we were getting close to our destination.

Suddenly the plane went up. My heart jumped and my stomach flipped. I immediately grabbed for the Dramamine. I was terrified that I was going to puke and THAT would have been horrible. I took two and looked back at David who was drifting into sleep. Obviously the altitude change hand not affected him in the least. We kept that altitude for a bit and my stomach quit rocking. Then the doctor next to me held up 10 fingers indicating that we should be landing in about 10 minutes. I was so ready, but I was not ready for what those ten minutes held. As we began our decent.....I could feel my stomach churning. I could no longer look out the window and the nice even flight suddenly began to feel like a roller coaster. I held the bar above my head and broke into a sweat. My head was spinning and I fluctuated between taking slow deep breathes and praying that we survived. I couldn't even look at David for fear if I opened my eyes I would throw up. It was the worst 10 minutes of the flight and then suddenly I felt the wheels touch down. The minute we hit ground my stomach started to return to normal. I couldn't wait for them to open the door so that I could feel fresh air. Standing on solid ground never felt so good before. Awaiting us was a bright red Shriners van. It was big and spacious and best of all.....no wings.

The van shuttled us to Haven House where patients and families of Shriner's Hospital stay. This place is wonderful and we have a huge room with two nice beds and large bathroom. Meals are served in a dining area and there is big gymnasium that David can roll his wheelchair all over and hoop and holler till his hearts content. The food was wonderful and we caught a little tv in the tv room and then we called it a night. It was a wonderful ending to a rather precarious day.

Today we will be shuttled to Shriners where David will have more x-rays and his blood will be typed and cross matched. We will also find out the exact time of tomorrows surgery. If I think too much about tomorrow....my stomach starts getting that plane descending feeling again, so I just won't.

Through the grace of God and some wonderful people.....we are here. We are exactly where we are suppose to be right now. I have absolutely no doubt about that. What tomorrow holds is tomorrows secret, but for today....we are on solid ground and we are going to enjoy our day.

3 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    This just in... You're silly. I'd pick a small plane for travel over commercial flight any day. Think about it. You experienced air travel without being physically assaulted by TSA. And you got door to door service.

    THAT IS AWESOME!

    Enjoy the day. We are all praying for you and David.

    God Bless,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been doing the same thing Lisa.....it would have scared me to death!!! LOL!
    So happy that you and David made it safe.....No words to say that will calm your momma heart....only....you are in His hands!!!!!

    Praying so much for you two.....

    Marni

    ReplyDelete