Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blessed


I know over the years during the beginning of Lent Father always gives a talk about when someone comes up and asks us how we are doing....our response should always be "I am blessed!" Well I truly am! When I look around and take stock of my wonderful friends, family and the awesome people that reside with me in my home town....I absolutely could not consider myself anything but blessed. Add to all of this the new friends that David has brought to our lives and we are so beyond blessed it isn't even funny. In case I don't say it enough....."thank you" to all who have volunteered, prayed, talked me through paranoia and crisis, brought us food and who are like me......waiting to see David be the most independent that he can be. I am of the firm belief that angels walk this earth and I have had the privilege to meet quite a few of them.

This is such an interesting journey we are on. I know that it is full of a lifetimes worth of life lessons. Some days are good, some days are not so good but all days are a blessing...especially in light of the fact that we could so easily have lost David a couple of weeks ago. Today seems to be a good day. Yesterday wasn't too bad either. I got some peace of mind after going to the doctor and I also got some things in motion to possibly get home health care and also to get David something called "bunny boots" to help keep his ankles free from bed sores.

We made some awesome progress in moving David yesterday. His wheelchair transitions are getting so much easier and he is now starting to do some of his own transferring. While the pain is still obvious it is also obvious that he is trying hard to work his way through it. His upper body is so strong that he is learning to adjust himself in bed, in the wheelchair, etc to be comfortable. The only part of our day that is still HELL is tummy time. He hates tummy time with a passion and yet when we do it regularly (2x per day 15 min. each time) his pain seems to be less the next day. He had his first outing yesterday...albeit was only to the doctors office, but we figured out how to have him ride comfortably in the car and he really seemed to enjoy himself. He was very happy being outside and I'm sure simply being out of the house. I must admit it.....I enjoyed it too.

David was visited yesterday by an old friend of mine and David thoroughly enjoyed making a new friend. We also were blessed to have David's para from the school Niki volunteer some time yesterday evening which gave me some cheesecake baking time. All in all the day was a good one. The only down side was finding that I had $500 missing from my purse last night. I had every intention of taking it to the bank yesterday but after having David out at the doctors for awhile I decided that going straight home was our best bet. I figured that since I had an appointment today that I could just run by the bank on  my way. When I was preparing stuff last night for today I realized it was gone along with a $25 VISA gift card that I had been given. I have no idea when or where this took place but since I was the only one who even knew I had the money and where it was I simply just don't know what happened. At first I was literally sick and then I just thought that if someone went to the trouble of stealing it that they must have needed it far worse than I do. As disheartening as it was....we will survive and there are just too many other things to be grateful for. I refuse to let this one thing overshadow my blessings.

This morning my day started with David appearing to be in very little pain as we rolled him around getting him ready for the day. Then my phone rang. It was local dj's Don and Kim from KEYN asking if they could do a short interview about David. Of course I said "of course" and since I have had some wonderful phone calls. I can't thank these guys enough along with "whoever" got this ball rolling. I have had several orders along with an offer if I get too busy to use my own kitchen I can use their professional kitchen. Yes folks.....we are BLESSED and I will be the first one to admit it!

No comments:

Post a Comment