Tuesday, January 7, 2014

We Got This!


With this mornings sunrise, came the knowledge that today our new year, new journey, new life really begins. Yes....I know that we are 7 days into the new year, but in Davidtopia.....we have been in a holding pattern of hospitals, hospital staff, doctors, tests and of course.....the ever popular waiting. Anyone who is a frequent flyer of hospitals knows that life exists very differently inside the medical walls and it feels as if time stands still while everyone and everything outside the hospital moves on. Today....David and I get to move on too.

Yesterday...as the day progressed, my David came back. No longer was he quiet, lethargic and deathly pale. Spongebob was making him laugh again, nurses were making him go full throttle flirt and he clapped and "yee hawed" to the point that I actually had to tell him to quiet down several times. His blood cultures finally came back clear last night and his cough as well as the pneumonia causing it seem to be much better. They have left him attached to the heart rate monitor just so we had an indicator of pain. There has been none and he has been on NO pain meds. Miraculous. The doctor also insisted that we check his incisions. I have never seen more beautiful incisions in my life. There is no swelling, bruising or even any raised suture areas. They are gorgeous....for an incision that is.

Today we await our chariot....in the form of EMS and then soon we will be on our way home. It will feel amazing. The hospital stay has not been without it's positives though. Through our extended stay, I have been able to find out where my strength and weaknesses lie in dealing with this cast. The cast itself isn't really heavy.....just incredibly bulky. When there are 4 of us in here moving him, changing him and working with him....it all works like a breeze. Just two of us work fairly efficiently too....however I have insisted on doing it myself several times just to make sure I actually can. I can....but it is no walk in the park and I know David is not very comfortable. Still, for a couple of weeks we can muddle through and I know we can do this thing.

So today we blow this popsicle stand. We will soon be home in our own surroundings which I am sure need a thorough cleaning. Is it crazy that I am somewhat excited about cleaning? I made myself sleep last night as I knew this was my last night with help and I actually feel okay and ready to tackle whatever is to come. I know we have new ground to break once we step outside the hospital and that there will be more peaks and valleys, but I think it is safe to say.....at least for today.....we got this!

As always....thanks for the prayers and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear that you are homeward bound. I know many good thoughts and prayers continue you for you and your family. Please continue to keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You are going home. I am so happy that Mr. David is doing so well. Please continue to keep us updated on his journey.

    ReplyDelete