Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Little Love to the Mulvane EMS


Own house. Check! Own bed. Well sort of check! TV with more than a handful of mismarked channels in which I know exactly where Spongebob is. Check! Check! Check! Yes folks.....we are home!!!!!!!!! It was a glorious feeling to be able to walk freely, eat something other than hospital cuisine and know that no monitors were going to malfunction and scare the bejeezus out of you during the night. It was an amazing day and night in Davidtopia!

Today, David is busy boogying to CMT, the color is finally returning to his face and hands and he seems every bit as happy as I am to be back in familiar surroundings. Changing him and moving him around has not turned out to be as big an issue as I thought it might be. I can do it in a pinch but I think I have it worked out so that I won't have to. Z's school has agreed to allow him to come home this week at noon, too help me change and move him (thank you Mrs. W) and then next week he starts home bound school where I will have someone here to help if needed at least half a day. As I said yesterday.....I think we got this!

Since this crisis seems to be averted, I would now like to share a little love and give a little thanks. I know I have mentioned Mulvane EMS several times in the last few days, but I think now is the time to express just how grateful I am.

The Mulvane EMS and my family go clear back to 2008 (January 21st to be exact)! That was the day David had his first febral (major) seizure and the first time EMS was called to the house to help David. Since that day, they have been here on several runs and always they have been kind, professional and truly a God send. This week though.....they have been beyond amazing.

Friday when we were on our way home from St. Louis, Z and I were almost in a panic realizing that we could have hurt David or ourselves putting him in the van alone. We knew getting him out of the van would likely be as difficult if not more so than putting him in was and with the temperatures plummeting......he couldn't be exposed to the cold any longer than necessary. That is when Z brought up the EMS. We live in a neighborhood where unfortunately.....EMS has made a lot of calls over the years. Several times we knew that they came to help "move" a neighbor who could not move himself so Z figured we could at least call and ask if they could help move David from the car to the house. When we got to Emporia (about an hour and a half out) I decided to call and see if it was even a possibility. The dispatcher couldn't have been kinder and told me to call the minute we got to town and they would be there. We did and they were.

Moving David into the house and the room he is recuperating in is no easy feat. Our house was built 50+ years ago with all the amenities that a half a century old house has such as strange entryways and narrow halls. Moving David into his room was like moving a bulky piece of furniture through a small space. They did it though. I was so grateful and David made it without so much as a moan of pain. Little did we know that EMS would have a return engagement at my house in less than 24 hours.

Saturday, when David started getting sick, EMS came back to transport him to the ER. Normally.....unless David is unconscious, I drive him myself but with this spika cast.....it is impossible. Once again EMS saved the day and David was transported without incident. As they dropped us off they gave me a number to call when we were ready to be picked up. I kind of thought that maybe this was a normal thing they did......until I talked to the hospital.

On Monday when the hospital was talking about releasing David the next day, they asked how I planned to get David home. I told them that Mulvane EMS were going to pick us up and transport. The nurse thought I had misunderstood to the point that she sent a social worker in to talk to me. She too asked how I was getting David home and I told her the same thing.....Mulvane EMS. She asked me if I was absolutely sure of this as they simply don't do this. I told her they had given me a number to call and she took it walking out saying "I will call them but I am sure you are mistaken. I will have to come up with a back up plan for you I am sure." It was really rather condescending the way she said it, but I began to wonder if I really had misunderstood.

Yesterday as they told me we were going to be released they asked again how we were getting home. Once again I told them what I thought to be true and said that the social worker was suppose to have called. When they checked with her she relayed the message back that she was not going to call because she knew I didn't have my story straight. I could however call if I wanted to. I did. Again....the dispatcher couldn't have been nicer and she said they would be there within 30 minutes. The hospital now had to kick their game into action because NO hospital dismisses in 30 minutes. Wesley did yesterday though. EMS was there in 30 minutes flat. The hospital staff were amazed and kept telling me that this just must be a small town thing. I really wanted to find that social worker and say something ironically obnoxious.....but I was just happy we were going home!

Once home....they once again had to move David like an over sized couch, and I am sure they silently cursed my tiny house with the narrow halls.....but if they did, you would never have known it. They had David laughing and doing his best to entertain them and they were beyond kind. I told them that I hoped not to have to take advantage of them again....BUT I would likely need them to come back the day of David's next St. Louis appointment to help us get him in the car. They said to just call and they would be happy to do it. What a relief!

So maybe the Mulvane EMS isn't like other EMS's. Maybe it is a small town thing, but whatever it is.....I want to say thank you to this great group of people who obviously go above and beyond to help the people of Mulvane. You have no idea how grateful my family is to know these people are here and willing to help in such a kind and professional way. I would say that from the reaction I got over all of this from others.....we in Mulvane are exponentially blessed. Thank you EMS....for everything. And as always....thank you for reading.

4 comments:

  1. It is nice that you always give gratitude to those who help you. Sometimes a thank you just makes it all worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the EMS was there for you. I really don't think your EMS is typical of them all. It may just be a small town thing but even so, you are truly blessed to have a group of people so tuned into and ready to help their community. Glad your little guy is doing better. Continued prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really can't beat small town life. From the people to the EMS it is just a different world. If your hospital was in a city I am not surprised that they were shocked at such small town kindness and generosity. Good for you for pointing out and showing gratitude for such wonderful service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this blog. Very nice of you to remember those who help you. Glad David is doing better. Please continue to keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete