Sunday, May 20, 2012

About Last Night


What a difference 12 hours makes! We have gone from a doctor saying we would likely be in the hospital until at least Monday (he was the ER doctor), to the floor doctor coming in and saying that the vancomyacin seems to be working well and we can go home today. Of course we got the lecture of: If anything changes go straight to Shriners or St. Louis Childrens (as we will be in MO). And of course he is going to be on another ten days of antibiotics, but other than that...David seems to be his old self. So we are back to our previous "tentative" schedule of leaving tomorrow. Notice at no time did I say "plan". Plan, planning and plans are going to be discarded from my vocabulary both spoken and written and those three words never seem to work out for me!

My exuberant excitement last night over having a "comfy" (more comfortable than mine anyway) bed were nothing but a pipe dream. It does not matter how comfy a bed is....if you can't put it to good use!!!!! By the time David was finally settled in, all meds had been ordered, brought to the floor and given and all blood work and night time preparations were done....it was after 1 a.m. David was so tired he was falling asleep sitting up. I thought "cool....he is drifting off and so can I." Silly girl!!! He was so tired that he was too tired! Immediately he began sitting up, bending forward and trying to sleep with his head between his knees. Time and again I got up to lay him back only for him to pop right back up again. Then he began to whimper. I don't know whether he was hurting, just too tired or simply in a strange place, but he was not comfortable at all. Finally I went over to his bed and laid there with him. Hospital beds are nothing more than glorified twin beds and twin beds were never intended for two people!!!! Especially when one of those people sleeps with his knees extended to the sides in a frog type position. I tried to make the best of it and work around the knees but my back was smashed up against the "mandatory" (David's mandatory not the hospitals) bed rails.

David continued sitting up but finally finagled his body to a position where he could lay his head on my ribs. Funny thing about skinny kids.....even their heads are boney. After about an hour and a half of his head squirming deeper and deeper into my left rib, I could no longer take it. I finally laid him over and then the sitting up began again. Another hour and I was out of there. I gave him his bed back and crawled into my own. Oops...time for middle of the night vitals and IV med changes. The alarm on that med infuser was enough to wake the dead and bring David out of the first sound sleep he had been in all night. So we were back to no sleep and a perfectly good hospital bed that had been laid on...but no blissful sleep had yet to occur on it. The last time I looked at the clock it was 5:45 a.m. My eyes were fully open and awake at 6:00 a.m. I can say next to not sleeping at all....this was the shortest night of my life. In fact....the way I currently feel....I would have been better not to have slept at all. Did I mention that David is happily napping as we speak?

So we are back to our original pla....errr....uh.....schedule. I will go home and do laundry, pack and clean and then as soon as Z takes his last final tomorrow....we will be headed to Missouri. This will be our surgery follow up at Shriners and hopefully we will find out the status of his legs and be able to begin weight bearing again. Since David has progressed so nicely we are mixing business with pleasure and visiting relatives along the way and while we are there. This will also help to break the 8 hour car ride up for David. Family really helps to offset the stress of doctors, hospitals and the unknown.

Again I go back to the fact that I can't get too bent out of shape about anything that is happening in our journey. It all seems to have purpose even if I can't quite put my finger on just what that purpose is at the time. The boys and I are doing well...in fact better than we have in a very long time and yes...I am still happy. Go figure that in all of this mess....I find my bliss/happiness/or whatever this strange feeling is. Do I think we are done with the speed bumps that have become the status quo in our lives? Not by any stretch of the imagination...but more and more I am realizing that whatever is put in our lives.....God gives me what I need to handle it and the blessing continue to abound!

No comments:

Post a Comment