Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Back to School and Such


So, I have had several people who have contacted me in the last week, saying they had friends or family with a special needs child and they had questions. Could they contact me? The answer is always......YES! I don't have all the answers and there are likely going to be questions I simply can't answer, BUT, I will always try to help in anyway I can and I will do my best if I can't answer a question, to point you in the direction of someone who maybe can. Having a special child can be daunting as many of the answers you need you have to hunt out yourself. I have spent a lot of time over the years asking questions, making calls, writing emails and making contacts. If I can help someone NOT have to deal with all the red tape, misinformation and endless hold times waiting to talk to someone who will simply transfer you to someone else where the hold time starts all over again.....then I will do it! You can contact me here in the comments section, on Facebook or at my email.....zelam07@gmail.com. Aside from the world keeping up with David, this blog is for the purpose of helping others find their way through the world of special needs and if we can help just one person....then this blog has done its job.

That being said......we had our first week of school in the books and David is now on the second one. He seems to love school this year and he has his para Niki which definitely helps to make his life a lot more stress free. Add to that a new teacher with a new outlook and possibly a better understanding of sped kids and we are already leaps and bounds ahead of last year. David is a teenager though and he is acting the part more and more.

The first two days of school, David was perfection both at home and at school. By Wednesday though, he was realizing that this was back to school being an everyday thing and I started to see a bit of early morning rebellion. By the end of the week, the school was also seeing the teenage side of my son. He worked hard though and he walked a lot Monday thru Thursday. By Friday his body was toast and he did more sitting than anything else. Saturday he spent most of his day laying around and watching TV. Yesterday morning as I put him on the bus, I saw that "Monday morning, I don't want to go to school, I am mad at you and this is going to be a rough day for all of us," look in his eye. According to the after school notes.....I had that look pegged.

David had a summer of sleeping in, playing when he wanted to, laid back Extended School Year, and swimming. He loved that no schedule schedule, and now, having to get back into the swing of the real world doesn't seem to be pleasing him. Still and all, he is much happier now and much healthier too, than he was at the end of the last school year. I have every faith that after Labor Day, he will be back in the swing of things which will be easier on us all.

As the weeks move forward, his schedule is going to get even busier. Starting Friday he will be going to out of school physical therapy. I have found a PT that works in a little town to the west of us and her specialty is kids with cerebral palsy. We are looking at seeing her twice a week. Then as the weather gets cooler and the pool is no longer an option, I am also looking into putting him back into horseback riding therapy. The first time he had the horse therapy he started doing some amazing things and he dearly loved riding. I would like to see this happen again.

The weather is still to remain hot for the next few weeks and the pool is our salvation. Along with that, I hear tell that David maybe called out by someone to do the ALS ice bucket challenge. That should make for an interesting video....and yes I will share it with you all. For now though, we are getting all of our back to school appointments and our PT scheduled and out of the way. We are hoping for a healthy and happy school year and I know David is looking forward to his first three day weekend of the school year this coming weekend.

Today all is well in Davidtopia and for that we are both grateful and content! So, until next week.....I hope you all have a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment