Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Schools Out for Summer



Can you believe it? Today is David's last day of school for the 2015-2016 school year. You can almost hear Alice Cooper singing in the background. It doesn't even seem possible. It has been quite a year.

As he was waiting for the bus this morning, I couldn't help but watch him and think what a handsome young man he is. Yes, I know ALL mothers say that about their kids, but to me.....he is so handsome. He looks just like his daddy and he has the most infectious laugh and smile. He is growing up so fast and every day I am blessed beyond words that God chose me to be his mother.

Looking back, this year has had it's highs and lows from the surgery to remove the plates in his knees and leg, to his seizures that came back with a vengeance to home bound school. He had a few hospital visits mixed in and he gave me a couple of scares that only David can give.

On the flip side, he has an amazing PT now that has pulled so much hard work out of him. Now that the medal plates are gone, he was a good candidate for botox and that has been amazing and finally....he ended up in the high school with a wonderful team and has thrived since day one. All in all....it has been a really great year.

I think of all of Davids school years, this one might have been the most educational for me. I have learned so much about David and Davids world. I have learned more about cerebral palsy and a little about autism....and I have learned a great deal about just how strong and determined David is. A doctor told me once when David was in the NICU, to never underestimate David and to never count him out of anything. Boy was that doctor correct. The older he gets the more amazing David is.

So now that school is out.......what happens? We have a bit of break for a couple of weeks and then David will have a month of ESY.....extended school year. It will only be for about 12 hours per week but it will be enough to keep a bit of  a school routine going. He will also continue his PT weekly at Heartsprings and once the pool is open, he will be having daily pool therapy.

I also hope to throw in a lot of bike riding as he has mastered his bike/trike and thoroughly loves riding it. I hoping there will also be park outings as well as time spent at the zoo and some other fun local places. And finally....I am checking out HIPPO therapy (horseback riding therapy) as that is something I think he would love to do again and would benefit from immensly.

So as you can see, I am hoping for a relaxed and yet full, summer. We all need it as next year he will be a full fledged, mostly full time high school student and we need to be rested up and ready.

It's the last day. As of tomorrow...our schedule changes to no real schedule and weather permitting.....you might just see us turning up just about anywhere.

Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment