Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Cerebral Palsy Month, Surgery, Updates and Dates...Oh My!

Well, it is 4:30 a.m. and I can't sleep, so I guess it's a good time for a blog!

March has been cerebral palsy month and I guess it is fitting that all this chaos has fallen right smack dab during this month. It is a reminder of why I fight and who I fight for and the constant knowledge that I will never quit fighting.

I know it is crazy, but this whole eviction situation has had so many blessings connected with it. Yes, I have been a walking basket case and lost lots of sleep and eaten my feelings like crazy, but there have been some really great things come about during all of this. First and foremost....I have always known how great David was as a human being and how much I love this kid, but it has been so amazing to see how much others love him too. To see our community, church, family, friends and even complete strangers fight for my kid has had a profound affect on me. With all the negative in the world, these last weeks...I have been given a direct and clear view of the good, the kindness and the generosity of so many amazing people. It has made me even more determined to be the best human I can be going forward and to never let a day go by that I don't find some way to pay forward what has been given my son and as an extension me. I am so far beyond grateful, no one will ever know.

One of the other amazing gifts that this situation has given me is the fact that I have had little time to fixate on David's upcoming surgery. Had this house not taken over my every thought awake or asleep, it is quite possible I would have still been a basket case, but for a whole different reason.

David's surgery's make me crazy. Especially the long ones. I have seen the scary side to these things and I have found myself more than once at his bedside praying that he and I were not sharing our last moments together. I have been told that he is beyond critical and given pretty grim odds at his recovery in the past and in most cases I have sat there all alone, just him and I.... facing the unknown with every second counting. I am no stranger to any of it, so you can probably understand why the weeks, days and hours leading up to a big surgery....especially a potentially life altering surgery such as this...cause me great stress and a lot of worry and over-thinking about the "what ifs." This time though, there has been little time for any of that. I guess I have just had faith that he would be fine before, during and after the surgery. My focus has been that post surgery he would have his home to come home to and that other than the surgery, his world would sustain no more disruption or stress.

Now that we are so close to saving David's home and with the realization that his surgery is less than two weeks away, some of the realities and possibilities of this surgery are starting to creep in and yes....there is a bit of worry involved. I believe this maybe why I am blogging at this hour instead of sleeping.

This surgery is kind of a crap shoot from beginning to end as far as time under anesthetic, time in PICU and time in the hospital, not to mention actual healing and recovery time. I have spoken to literally dozens of people including his PT, his surgeon, his surgeons PA and actual spine fusion patients and all literally give you different times frames about everything. So what I have deducted is that this surgery and recovery largely depends on David and the doctors. The actual surgery itself  of course is dependent upon the skill of the surgeons and what they find going in. Luckily David's surgery is the first of their day (at 7 a.m.) so both surgeons should be fresh and on their game. The recovery though, that is all David. From experience I know that he has extreme determination, so hopefully he will push through and push himself to be on the quicker end of recovery, however.....whatever the case ends up being.....we are both in it for the long haul.

Soon, my worry roles will be reversed and I will have no time to worry or think about anything other than David. His surgery and recovery will take center stage and all else will have to take a back seat. That is where faith steps in and everything from the house to the surgery is put in God's hands and left there. Thank God we were given the extra time necessary to make everything happen (we now have until June 30th) and thank God for all the prayers that have helped us along the way.

So, these next couple of weeks I have no doubt, will fly by. As usual with his big surgeries, I will do my best to keep people updated on his surgery and his recovery process through this blog. David will be at Wesley Medical Center, 550 N. Hillside, Wichita, KS 67214. As soon as we have a room number I will let you know, so if you would like to send David a card, I know he would truly appreciate it. You can also send them to our home and if you would like that address please message me and I will give it to you.

This is a life changing time for David and I, but the journey has been full of amazing insight and even more amazing people. I am grateful to you all and I ask that you continue to pray for David and for his upcoming surgery. Prayer has been the greatest gift of all and we are grateful for every single one.

Finally, I was asked to post our fundraiser and donation information on his blog again so here it is. There will be a Quartermania Fundraiser on April 8th from 1:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. at Haysville West Middle School, 1956 W. Grande Ave, Haysville, KS. 

That same day from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. there will be a bierock casserole dinner at Lauries Kitchen, 113 W. Main, Mulvane, KS. You can also pre-order the casserole by the 1/2 pan or pan and pickup on the day of the event.

And finally there will be a 20% fundraiser at Hurricane Sports Grill at 8641 W. 13th St. N, Suite 111, Wichita, KS on April 13th from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Twenty percent of all your food purchases will go to Save David's Home when you bring in a flyer or show a picture of the flyer on your phone.

Donations can be made through the YouCaring fund or you can donate through Carson Bank, P.O. Box 158, Mulvane, KS 67110. 

So there you have it. As I said, I will be posting daily updates on David's surgery and recovery and for those interested....his surgery will be April 10th. Please keep those prayers coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment